Much of the music we hear on the radio today is saturated with elicit drug use, casual sex, violence and other bad influences that are hurting our society. Every once in a while, however, there is a rare gem of a song that encourages you to rise above the coarser parts of human nature and be a better person. This blog features some of our favorite uplifting pop songs along with what they mean to us.

Feel free to leave your own interpretation as a comment!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Only Hope" by Switchfoot and Mandy Moore

Hope has become a misunderstood word.  Nowadays, we say things like "I hope it's sunny today" to mean we have no idea if it will be sunny (and with our luck it probably won't be), but still, it would be nice if it was.  This isn't what hope used to mean.  Hope is a conviction that something is true.  It leaves no room for doubt; hope is the opposite of doubt.

The misunderstanding of the word hope illustrates the fact that many people today do not have much hope.  Agnosticism and moral ambiguity have left people uncertain what they should do and uncertain what the ultimate results of it will be.  We have been taught that there are only us humans and humans cannot be trusted.

What a benefit those people have who believe in a supreme power and objective morality.  Like the North Star sitting still in the heavens while the rest of the universe spins in circles, their belief and religion provides a clear path for their actions and strong hope for their eternal future.  Whatever may happen to them in this life -- friendships and relationships betrayed, sickness, financial failure -- they know for certain that it will all be okay.  They place their only hope in that conviction.

Scoffers who may criticize their supposed naiveté would do well to remember Pascal's famous wager: should the believer's hope be placed in reality they win an eternity of happiness.  They also get a lifetime of moral certainty which leads to a lifestyle of happiness.  Should they be wrong, they still keep the lifetime of peacefulness and then cease to exist at death. Not a bad bet.  Those who refuse to recognize an objective morality are much more likely to act in a way in life that will leave them unhappy, will lack the peace of mind of moral certainty, and risk eternal damnation for their actions.  Which do you think is the better bet: following the wisdom of an eternal being (or at least of collective humanity) or stumbling about in the dark on your own?




"Only Hope" by Switchfoot and Mandy Moore

There's a song that's inside of my soul.
It's the one that I've tried to write over and over again
I'm awake in the infinite cold.
But you sing to me over and over and over again.

So, I lay my head back down.
And I lift my hands and pray
To be only yours, I pray, to be only yours
I know now you're my only hope.

Sing to me the song of the stars.
Of your galaxy dancing and laughing and laughing again.
When it feels like my dreams are so far
Sing to me of the plans that you have for me over again.

I give you my destiny.
I'm giving you all of me.
I want your symphony, singing in all that I am
At the top of my lungs, I'm giving it back.

So I lay my head back down.
And I lift my hands and pray
To be only yours, I pray, to be only yours
I pray, to be only yours
I know now you're my only hope. 



No comments:

Post a Comment